Sunday 14 April 2013

GETTING STARTED WITH GREEN SMOOTHIES

I LOVE GREEN DRINKS!  They are MY staple!  They make me feel so good and give me tons of energy!  


I usually make a blender full in the morning and then drink it throughout the day.  After pouring my morning one I like to put the leftover in a mason jar and store it in the fridge for later.  That way if I go out I can easily take it with me and don't have to worry about it spilling everywhere!  I think making a green drink is really personal.  It requires a bit of experimentation but once you get the hang of it, it's easy!  

So...you've heard all the great things about green drinks but don't know where to start....

FIRST, CHOOSE A BASE  I use almond milk (see another post on how to make your own raw almond milk!), soy milk, brown rice milk, coconut water, leftover cold green or Rooibos teas or water.  I start with about a cup for my Vitamix blender.  


SECOND, ADD SOME FRUIT (as you get more use to the taste of green drinks you'll naturally be able to reduce the amount of fruit). 
My favourite combos are:
Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)
Orange and cranberry
Mango, blackberry and lime
Pineapple, coconut, banana and strawberry
Pineapple and orange
Peach, banana and strawberry
The combos are endless!  Just use 
your imagination!  
I fill the blender 1/3 to 1/2 full of fruit.  



THIRD, ADD VEGGIES!  

My favourites are cucumber, fresh ginger, avocado (like bananas, avocados make the smoothie/green drink creamy and OH SO DELICIOUS, herbs such as parsley, cilantro and mint and dark green leafy veggies such as kale, spinach, chard and bok choy.  
I usually add 1-2 cups of packed green leafy veggies.  





NEXT, ADD EXTRAS to help meet your daily requirements of protein, iron, calcium and omega fats.  To a vitamix blender full of smoothie, I usually add 2-3 T hemp hearts, 2-3 T sprouted chia and flax mix and 1-2 T quinoa flakes.  


LASTLY, BLEND AWAY!  If you like your drinks cold and your fruit isn't frozen add some ice.  I stock my freezer with fruit in season.  That way I always have fruit on hand and I can purchase it when it is on sale.  

Oh...and try to buy ORGANIC as much as possible.  I figure there is no use putting pesticides into my body if I'm making an effort to eat well.  The increase cost of organics and healthy eating will save you from buying prescription medications that you'll less likely need!  (My opinion, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment