Wednesday 2 October 2013

SOUTH INDIAN TOMATO COCONUT VEGETABLE CURRY

It's been TWO months since I've posted!  I broke bones in my leg and ankle on the August long weekend and life has slowed down a lot!  Ok....I was skim boarding!  

Having to have my leg up makes it difficult to do much!  Now I can stand up for 10-15 minutes at a time without much pain or swelling!  I'm back to cooking, baking, swimming and spinning on an indoor bike trainer!  Yahoo!  

Now that I'm back creating and the weather has cooled down in the Okanagan I'm craving warm foods like Thai and Indian curries, hearty soups, stews and hot desserts (like the plum almond crumble I made yesterday!).  

We still have lots of food in the garden but it will be time to winterize our square foot gardens soon!  Covering our beds with a portable greenhouse allows us to extend our growing season for a couple of months!  

So...the day before yesterday I decided to make a tomato curry because I had quite a few tomatoes to use up.  








INGREDIENTS:
6-8 large tomatoes, chopped
2-3 green chilies, seeds removed and chopped finely
1 tsp salt

1 1/2 c unsweetened organic coconut
2 tsp cumin seeds, dry roasted and ground
4 shallots or 1 large onion
1/2 tsp ground tumeric 
1- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder


3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
4-6 large carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 c red lentils, rinsed until clean


3 T coconut oil
2 tsp mustard seed 
2 curry leaves

2 limes

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Prepare all your ingredients.  
2.  Put your tomatoes, green chilies and salt in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Once boiling, turn down to minimum to simmer.  
3.  Meanwhile, put the next 5 ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  Add them to the pot.  
4.  Add your chopped potatoes and carrots and rinsed lentils and stir.  
5.  While the veggies and lentils are cooking heat up the coconut oil in a small pan.  Add the mustard seed.  When they splutter add the curry leaves and saute for a minute.  Add the mustard mixture to the large pot. 
6.  Just before serving add the juice from one lime.  
7.  Serve the curry over long grain brown rice or brown basmati.  Cut up the other lime into small wedges and serve along side the curry.  








No comments:

Post a Comment