Saturday 5 October 2013

VEGAN CAESAR SALAD DRESSING

This is one of my favourite salad dressings!  I adapted it from the Caesar Salad dressing in REBAR cookbook.  I substituted flax oil and water for some of the olive oil.  I added flax oil to get some good omega fatty acids.  I substituted water for some of the oil to reduce the calories in the dressing.  To make it vegan I use nutritional yeast in place of the parmesan cheese.  The nutritional yeast helps provide the hard to get B12.  Depending on the meal, I'll sometimes add some optional ingredients that compliment the other foods.  

INGREDIENTS:

3 garlic cloves
Juice of 1 large lemon
1 T capers 
1T caper juice
2 t Dijon mustard
1 t tamari soy sauce
1/4 t fresh cracked black pepper
1/3 c nutritional yeast (B12)
1/4 c flax oil (omega fatty acids)
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c water

Optional ingredient ideas: 

1/4 c fresh herbs (eg basil, rosemary or oregano)
2T pureed chipotle pepper 

DIRECTIONS:

Put all ingredients (except the water and oils) in the blender and blend until smooth. With the blender on low drizzle in the water and oils.  Store in the fridge in a container with a lid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment